- Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy
- The Humane Gardener by Nancy Lawson
- A New Garden Ethic by Benjamin Vogt
- Pollinators of Native Plants by Heather Holm
- Bees: An Identification and Native Plant Forage Guide by Heather Holm
Native Plants of the Northeast
- Native Plants of the Northeast: A Guide for Gardening and Conservation by Donald Leopold
- Growing and Propagating Wildflowers of the United States and Canada by William Cullina [OOP, available at library)
Design and Implementation
- Planting Noah’s Garden by Sara Stein
Sara Stein followed up her popular book Noah’s Garden with this detailed look at her garden design process and the mechanics of executing your ideas. A treasure trove of information on everything from starting wildflower seeds to moving boulders.
- The Living Landscape by Rick Darke and Doug Tallamy
- Planting: A New Perspective by Piet Oudolf and Noel Kingsbury
- Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes by Thomas Rainer and Claudia West
- Garden Revolution: How our Landscapes can be a Source of Environmental Change by Larry Weaner and Thomas Christopher
Contains valuable information about working on a larger scale. Practical tips for maintenance of meadows and other naturalistic plantings.
- Bird-By-Bird Gardening by Sally Roth
An excellent reference for gardeners wishing to create specialized habitats to attract various bird species.
CAUTION: This book includes recommendations of some plants considered invasive in New York. Please double-check the safety of plants you’re considering!
Art and Exploration
- Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles Roth
- Wild Remedies: How to Forage Healing Foods and Craft Your Own Herbal Medicine by Rosalee de la Foret and Emily Han
- Nature Printing: With Herbs, Fruits & Flowers by Laura Donnelly Bethmann
- Botanical Inks: Plant-to-Print Dyes, Techniques and Projects by Babs Behan and Kim Lightbody
- Make Ink: A Forager’s Guide to Natural Inkmaking by Jason Logan
- Embroidered Landscapes: Hand Embroidery, Layering & Surface Stitching by Judy Wilford
Compiled by Morgan Elmore, Spring 2021.